Greenwood County Veteran's Affairs Office
106 Main St N.
Greenwood, S.C. 29646-2643
Phone: (864) 450-9268
The Greenwood Veterans Affairs Office hopes you find this information useful and informative. Some brief overviews of the services provided by the office along with some general information follow. The Greenwood County Veterans Affairs Office assists veterans and their dependents in filing applications to determine their basic eligibility and conditions of benefit entitlement as administered by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. This includes, research, preparation, development, presentation, and prosecution of claims submitted to the VA Regional Office in Columbia or the Board of Veterans Appeals in Washington, DC. Though state-mandated, the local VA office is county and state-funded.
This office does the following:
- Records and certifies DD214 (Report of Separation)
- Assists in preparation and filing of claims with the VA Regional Office and the Board Veterans Appeals
- Helps veterans file applications for the review of discharge or the correction of military records
- Coordinates with other local and state agencies to render advice and assistance to veterans, their dependents and survivors
- Visits VA hospital and nursing homes as well as veterans’ homes to assist in applying for VA benefits
- Assists in filing annuity applications for surviving spouses of military retirees
- Assists veterans in obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility which is required to secure a VA Home Loan Guarantee
- Assists in filing application for burial marker and burial benefits
- Assists in filing application for VA and State Veterans Nursing Homes
- Assists in filing for benefits offered by the State of SC
- Annuity: A monthly source of spousal income provided in return for reduced retirement benefits.
- DD214: A military separation paper issued to veterans after 1949.
- Dependents: Spouses, children, and certain parents of veterans.
- Compensation: Monthly check for disability as a result of active military service.
- Pension: Supplemental income due to financial need because of low income or reoccurring medical expenses.
Please utilize the following website to learn more about the Department of Veterans Affairs: www.va.gov