528 Monument Street
Greenwood, SC 29646
General Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Marriage License Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Greenwood Probate Court hopes you find this information useful and informative. Some brief overviews of the services provided by the court along with some general information follow.
Greenwood County Probate Court has contact with approximately 1,500 families annually. As you should expect, each case is different, which makes it difficult to advise families until the court has all the information. As individual circumstances differ, probate requirements will vary.
Probate Court issues approximately 600 Marriage Licenses annually and the Mental Health Division handles 250 plus cases per year. As a busy office, we seek to be sensitive and understanding as we serve Greenwood County.
The Probate Court assists the citizens of Greenwood County in probating estates, resolving disputes in estates and trusts, handling involuntary commitments for alcohol/drug abuse and/or mental illness, obtaining marriage licenses, appointing and supervising guardians and conservators, and approving minor and wrongful death settlements.
The Probate Court includes the Estate, Commitment, and Marriage Divisions. The Probate Judge is elected countywide and serves a four-year term.
Marriage License/Wedding Ceremony Information:
Cost for the Marriage License application is forty-five dollars ($45.00) for couples over the age of eighteen (18) years and forty-six dollars ($46.00) for couples less than eighteen (18) years. The court accepts CASH only for all marriage license applications.
Wedding Ceremonies for couples over the age of eighteen (18) years are performed by appointment only. The cost of the ceremony is twenty dollars ($20.00). The court accepts CASH only for all wedding ceremonies.
Wedding Ceremonies for couples under the age of eighteen (<18) years are not performed by the court.
This office does...
- Provides support for family members/attorneys to handle deceased person's affairs
- Provide assistance in the involuntary commitment of individuals for alcohol/drug problems and/or mental illness
- Issue marriage licenses and certified copies of marriage licenses
- Perform Wedding Ceremonies for couples over the age of eightteen (18) years during the hours of 9:00-11:00 am and 2:00-3:30 pm, by appointment only
- Appoint and supervise conservators and guardians
- Approve minor settlements and wrongful death settlements
- Hear criminal cases. Nor are we associated with the Probation Department or the criminal justice system in any way.
- Write wills. Please contact your attorney to have your Will prepared or, if you need the name of an attorney who can prepare your Will, contact the South Carolina Lawyer’s Referral Service at 1-800-868-2284