Greenwood County Coroner's Office
To serve and protect the interest of the community by maintaining the highest level of professionalism and integrity while determining the cause and manner of death.
600 Monument Street - Suite 223
Greenwood, South Carolina 29646
600 Monument Street
Suite 223 P-127
Greenwood, South Carolina 29646
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Greenwood County Coroner's Biography
A native of Greenwood, SC, Roy E. (Sonny) Cox, Jr. attended Greenwood County public schools, and holds an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Piedmont Technical College. He began his law enforcement career in August of 1977, with the Greenwood City Police Department. His experience includes working in criminal investigations, narcotics, and traffic accident investigations. During his tenure with the Greenwood City Police Department, he was the recipient of numerous meritorious awards, to include the International Civitans Award for courageous service. In 2006, he retired at the rank of Captain after 29 continuous years of service.
Subsequently, in May of 2006, Sonny began working with the Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office in a newly created division for community services, where he served as a Major under the leadership of Sheriff Tony Davis. In 2007, he was awarded the Cornerstone Award for Community Service. Sonny retired again from the Sheriff’s Office in December of 2012.
In January of 2013 the Citizens of Greenwood County called upon his services again, but this time by electing him to represent them in the position of Greenwood County Coroner. Sonny dutifully answered this call and by November of that same year he had already achieved his certification as a Diplomate of the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators.
Sonny’s true love for Greenwood and its citizens has also afforded him the opportunities to devote much of his time outside of his law enforcement career to serving on various community Boards such as Healthy Greenwood Neighborhoods, the Salvation Army, the Greenwood Chamber of Commerce and the Humane Society.
Sonny has now begun his second term as the Coroner of Greenwood County and looks forward to many more years of service to come. Within his first term he was able to accomplish getting the coroner’s office internationally accredited. Sonny was also chosen by his peers throughout the state of South Carolina and awarded the Coroner of the Year award.
Goals and Objectives
• The Coroner ensures that the citizens of Greenwood County receive the best possible investigation of each death. In bettering our service to the community, I have begun the process of bringing this coroner’s office to an accredited status through the International Association of Coroners and Medical Examiners (IAC&ME). We are anticipating this accreditation process to be completed in 2015 (Accomplished March 2, 2015)
• The Coroner ensures that the citizens of Greenwood County are kept informed about the status of a death investigation of a family member.
• The Coroner ensures that the citizens of Greenwood County are protected against known hazards that have caused a death by taking corrective measures. To accomplish this goal, my office and I will continue to speak at special functions across the county to inform the citizens of any changes or hazards they may need to know.
• The Coroner will adequately equip all deputy coroners so they can perform within the established and published guidelines and standards set forth by SC State Law and OSHA regulations. It is my goal to increase the training to those who perform such duties in their capacity.
• Determine cause and manner of death.
• Investigation of all reported deaths in Greenwood County including unaccompanied deaths, deaths that occur within 24 hours of a hospital admission, and any other suspicious or accidental death.
• Schedule, assist and maintain the records of autopsies and death investigations.
• Perform toxicology tests on decedents through the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.
• Communicate with the S.C. Organ Procurement Association.
• Provide reports to law enforcement agencies.
• Maintain files on all reported deaths.
• Secure the certification of death certificates.
• Complete the death certificates on all deaths that are coroner cases.
• Provide Cremation Permits to funeral homes.
• Secure and house any property obtained from decedents for the next of kin.
• Oversee the cremation for indigent decedents and abandoned bodies.
• Community awareness and education programs speaking with schools and organizations.
• At this time there are no fees associated with any of the services of the Greenwood County Coroners Office
Greenwood County Coroner’s Office Staff
Coroner: Sonny Cox
The services provided by the Greenwood Coroner’s Office are augmented by six part-time Deputy Coroners. Click Here to see staff directory.