Greenwood, SC 29646
Phone: (864) 942-8636
Fax: (864) 942-8580
The American Planning Association has designated Uptown Greenwood as a Great Place In America.
The Mission of the Greenwood City/County Planning Department is to develop a vision for the future growth and development of the communities we serve by:
- Utilizing planning principals that promote rational, economical, and environmentally efficient use of land.
- Developing, fostering, and implementing a long-range plan for the built environment through the Comprehensive Plan.
- Focusing on economic vitality, environmental integrity, and development design quality through the highest quality master plans, plan implementation, and development review that is complementary to the community's growth pattern.
- Providing professional advice and technical expertise to elected officials, appointed boards and commissions, city and county departments, and citizens to assist in understanding and addressing key community issues and priorities.
- Providing high-quality, effective, professional planning services to property owners and the development community with enduring respect of the public trust.
Making Your Comments
Rezonings, variances, and certain other development-related requests are considered at public hearings before various boards, and commission or the Council itself.
The most effective way to express your opinion about one of these items is to appear in person at the public hearing. After the introduction of the item, the person chairing the meeting will open the public hearing and specifically ask for comments on that item. You will be asked to give your name and address, and will usually be asked to limit your remarks to five minutes. When a group of individuals share a concern, it is preferable to have a spokesperson for the group. Such a group spokesperson will generally be given a greater amount of time to speak.
If you cannot attend the public hearing, you may send a letter with your concerns. Letters should be addressed to the attention of the body considering the request, in care of the Planning Department at 528 Monument Street, Room B-01, Greenwood, SC 29646, and should reference the case number or provide other description of the project under review. Your letter will be forwarded to the members of the body that will hold the public hearing and will be placed in the project file. Letters are not routinely read aloud at the public hearing.
While staff members are available to answer your questions regarding the agenda item, they cannot forward any verbal concerns to the public hearing body. All comments must be made in person at the public hearing or in writing.
If you have a disability that requires any special materials, services, or assistance, please contact our office at (864) 942-8636 so that appropriate accommodations may be arranged.